Eric's Half-Ironman Training

I am now training for my second half-ironman race. The race is in Boulder this time in August, 2007. I finished the Florida Half-Ironman in May, 2007. Wish me luck!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Crash, Bang, Pow...Where am I???
By Iron Eric

What a good ride I was on. It was May 1st, 2007. I took a longer route today because I was trying to avoid the rain. I traveled the same path as where the Bicylce Village group ride takes us. The path takes us up past where the Denver Broncos practice. It's a really nice ride and awesome to pass by some of the million dollar houses.

I went down a steep hill and clocked 40+ mph. I always zoom down the hill with great speed. We usually keep going and take a different way home. Since I was riding by myself, I decided to turn around and go up the hill and travel back home. I traveled for several more miles, until...

Crash, Bang, Pow...Where am I?
Yes I crashed. I got knocked out, woke up and had no clue where I was. It really felt like a dream. I tried putting my lens back on my glasses and had no luck. I threw them in my bike back and started walking. Where was I going? That would be a good question. Later (not sure how much) a truck passed me a put on his brakes. He helped me out. He put my bike in his truck, gave me some napkins to help stop the bleeding and started driving.

The driver tried calling my house phone, wife's phone, parents phone and no answers. I eventually remember where I live. That is a pretty scary thought when you don't know where you live. He took me home, helped me brake into my own home (keys were left in the car) and got me in. Nicole finally got home, grabbed a pair of extra clothes and off we went. We stopped by my car first, grabbed my wallet and to the ER we went.

To make my long story short, my brain was fine but my left hand thumb looked worrysome. The orthopedic doctor said that I needed surgery to repair some ligaments. He said that it can take place after my race. My bike's was mostly OK. The front threadless fork needed to be replaced, aerobars patched up, and a new helmet. Great....more money.

I consider myself very lucky and determined to finish the Florida Half-Ironman race May 20th, 2007. I will now be going with lots of road rash and a repaired bike. The rest of my race season will be changed, but I will just keep going. I am still eyein' on Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2008!

9 Comments:

Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

ERIC! Oh My Goodness!!!

I'm so glad that you're alright but what a scary experience! I guess you're lucky that your noodle is intact, but I'm so sorry that you endured that.

Take the time you need to heal and be glad that you're efforts and hard training are behind you and you remain completely prepared for the 20th.

Now...get some pain meds and hit the couch!!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

Its almost all taper from here!! I won't swim again until Florida, my bike is in the shop and should be ready by the weekend and I plan on running a little on Saturday. I guess I will forget my 3 hour bike ride on Saturday. Just as well.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Duane said...

Dude! Glad you're okay (as okay as you can be!). How scary! I'm glad you'll still be able to race! If you need any help with anything, I have a truck!

5:22 PM  
Blogger TriShannon said...

Found your blog through Duane.

Glad you are okay! Rest up and heal! Good Luck in Florida!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger KrissyGo! said...

Good grief!

:O

So glad to hear that you are okay (for the most part) and that you will still be able to participate this season.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Holy Crap!

That could have been a lot worse! I am glad you still should be able to race with little to no problem. I will be cheering for you up here in Atlanta. I feel bad that I will not be able to be down there and race/meet all of you, but it is for the best.

Yes this sport is not cheap.

Hope you are feeling better.

Murtha...

7:55 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

OMIGOD!!! So sorry to hear of your crash. Glad you're OK and that you're still planning to do Florida 70.3. I'll email you next week about meeting up, if you're still up for it.

See you soon.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Iron Eric said...

My road rash wounds are starting to heal. My face is looking much better. I hope to get in the pool a little next week. Its driving me crazy not being able to swim in the mornings. I was really getting in a routine of things.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Yikes. (I know this is a bit late). Sorry about your crash. I had a bad crash a couple of years ago ... but nothing as bad as that. It looks like your training got back on pace.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home