Eric's Half-Ironman Training

I am now training for my second half-ironman race. The race is in Boulder this time in August, 2007. I finished the Florida Half-Ironman in May, 2007. Wish me luck!

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Winter Duathlon

I have been actively running since 1999. I've run the Boulder Bolder in Colorado for 11 years in a row. I always take the winter months off, usually October-March. These months are just too cold in Colorado.

I finished my first Triathlon this summer in August. I gave myself about 12 weeks of training. I focused hard and finished the Rattlesnake Triathlon in Aurora, Colorado. At the same time I was cross training for the Boulder Backroads Marathon. I really got hooked on this triathlon stuff.

I have decided to compete in my first half-ironman. The race will be the Florida Half-Ironman in Orlando, FL on May 20, 2007. Since the race is in May, I will be training this winter. This will be my first winter in training...ever!!!

One of my triathlon buddies, Art, asked if I was interested in the Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon series. I was a little hesitant because the series of races are during the winter months. Last year, two of the races were nearly below zero. Yikes!

Saturday, January 9th was the first race. I didn't give myself enough time to get to the race, so I felt extremely rushed. I barley had enough time to register, stretch, and setup the transition area. I did all of this in 15 minutes. I will certainly give myself more time at the next race. The race started at 10am. It was 55 degress. I couldn't ask for better weather!

There are two categories for the race.
1) Fat Tire (bikes must be mountain or hybrid)
2) Open

I picked the the "open category" because you can choose any bike. I will ride my road bike unless the weather is terrible. If it snows the night before, the race will still go on, so I must prepare myself. That's where my mountain bike will come in handy.

I finished my run in awesome time!
Mile1: 6:01 Mile2: 6:40 Mile 3: 7:21 Mile 4: 6:57
Average Mile: 6:45
Transition/Bike: 33:16
The Overall time was 1:00:15 and finished 39th place. I had a few pass me on the run, and a few more on the bike. I was really amazed on those who flew past me.

I encourage all who train during the winter months to find a race like this one. It will keep you motivated and help your training for an early triathlon.

Iron Eric
www.erics-half-ironman.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home