Eric's Half-Ironman Training

I am now training for my second half-ironman race. The race is in Boulder this time in August, 2007. I finished the Florida Half-Ironman in May, 2007. Wish me luck!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Race Report

Pre-race routine
My alarm went off at 3:50am. I may have snoozed once or twice, but I got up pretty quickly. My pre-race meal was 1/2 cup of oatmeal. It seems to tide me over quite well. I packed all my stuff in the car and my wife, Nicole, and I left to Boulder about 5:15. My parents and brother drove separately and met us there before I started.

Event warmup:
After setting up my transition area I went and stretched. My restroom breaks were very minimal today. What a relief!! Nicole and I missed the elite swimmers start, but I was able to get in the water for a quick warm-up. This is the first time I got to swim before the race. I was pretty happy and think I did better because I had a good warmup. I heard my co-worker's name, Brett, called on the intercom before he started. Brett was one wave before me. I shouted his name and we talked just a little before the race started. We have gone swimming together several times so he is clearly my "swimming buddy".

Swim
My swim was awesome! I settled in very well and kept an even pace the entire swim. I didn't collide with too many people and really enjoyed myself. I decided to wear my tinted goggles because I heard the sun was really bad. The goggles didn't seem to help too much, but I am glad I had them. I rounded one of the buoys and tapped it briefly. My sighting was pretty good throughout the swim. I mainly sighted off other swimmers and the far distance buoys. I was nearing the end and I saw the exit. I didn't swim my hardest at this point, but I picked up the pace a little. My official swim time was 39:25 (PR)

T1
Great transition. I was very quick and didn't waist any time. I had a little trouble getting my wetsuit off. I always sit and take it off. The baby pool just before transition saved tons of time. My total t1 time was 1:51.

Bike
This course is awesome. Some uphills, awesome downhills. I am glad that I got a chance to ride the course before the race. I tried to pace myself. My average cadence of 90-100 kept me from pushing too hard. The downhills gave me a chance to relax, make up some time and catch up my breathing. My max speed was 45.1mph. Whoa!! I was playing leap frog with a few people, which made the ride more interesting. I had troubles putting my water bottle back in the cage and went of the road for a few seconds. That was pretty scary. I have found out that I nearly cut off another fellow triathlete. I posted this race report on the http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ website and someone responded that they were cut off. That was COGirl, Small world. I am glad that I didn't catch any thorns along the way!!

I lost one bottle of accelerade while I was finishing the first loop. I almost took someone out. I apologized to the rider in back of me and very thankful there were no crashes!! I passed Brett just before the turnaround. I asked him how his swim was. He said "it was awesome". I also saw another Team ShuttlePack member. That was way cool!

The next loop was pretty fun. I thought I was going to bonk or slow down. I really didn't. My butt didn't even get too sore this time!! Yeah. I was still playing leap frog with a few others, but nearing the end, it was over. Sean from Team ShuttlePack passed me just before the end. Towards the last mile I lowered my gear and tried to relax my legs. My official time was 2:38:23 (PR).

Here is the the time that my bike computer said:
Time: 2:39.08
Odo: 792.8 miles
Max: 45.1 mph
Avg: 21.4 mph
Distance: 56.84 miles

T2
Nice and quick. I lost a gel at the start of the run. I also forgot to tighten my shoelaces. I ran out with Sean from ShuttlePack. My total t1 time was 1:28.

Run
My run is usually my strong point. I started off at a great pace. My hamstrings were burning badly, but I kept on moving. The ice water was great, but it made me cramp. I carried a sponge with me almost the entire race. I also really enjoyed the ice! My pace kept getting slower and slower. I couldn't move too much faster. I walked at about each aid station and drank gatorade.

The gravel was pretty nice to run on. I didn't train much on gravel. After the finish of the first loop and saw my family. What a wonderful site!! I love it when I have friends and family to cheer me on.

What would I do differently? More brick workouts. I am a much faster runner, but I always slow down quite significantly and loose my rhythm. I would also work on better nutrition on the run. This will mean that I need to take my running pack with me.

Cool down
I tried stretching as much as possible. My family had to see me in pain. After they left I went to get a massage which made huge difference. My hamstrings were much more relaxed. I went to my parent’s house afterwards and slept for about 2 hours.

Bolder and Eric
Sean and Eric

10 Comments:

Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Hi Eric! Thanks for your welcome back comment. Sounds like you had a great race except perhaps being a little disappointed with your run.

I had a rather disappointing run segment at my first FL 70.3 race in 2006 and think it was caused mainly by poor nutrition before/after the race. Back then I didn't take it seriously and so I just did what I normally did for running marathons (not nearly enough!). I also probably pushed too hard on the bike for my cycling fitness level at the time.

I fixed both and ran 38 minutes faster at FL 70.3 this year. I never did any brick workouts since my focus was just on being able to run strong the entire 13.1 miles (I new I'd be much faster if I just didn't slow down!). My feeling is that bricks would help me most if I were doing sprint or oly dist tris but not so much 1/2 or full IMs.

Good luck on finding out what works for you!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Hey, no numbers! OK, I went to the results page to look you up.

You had a good day - congratulations!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

Congrats Eric! I was anxiously awaiting your race report. Nicely done!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Duane said...

Way to go Eric! What's up next for you?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Oly said...

I did the same as Brent to find the #'s. Looks like you had a good race.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Hey Eric, Congratulations on your well run half ironman. You'll be an inspiration to me when I run mine this weekend. Rest well.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Triathlon Bike said...

Congrats Eric! Nice work. Good day.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous running workouts said...

Nice! Now I know what to do, thank you! And as this information is educational so this site has been added to my RSS feed for later browsing. To know more about
marathon training visit: http://www.marathontrainingschedule.net

10:57 PM  
Anonymous dentist in huntersville nc said...

Nice! Now I apperceive what to do, acknowledge you! And as this advice is educational so this armpit has been added to my RSS augment for after browsing.

2:19 AM  
Blogger David said...

What a great and honest read, thank you for sharing and using real language! I’m just starting out blogging and I’m currently updating my site as I get a better feel for it.
Maharaja Express

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home