Eric's Half-Ironman Training

I am now training for my second half-ironman race. The race is in Boulder this time in August, 2007. I finished the Florida Half-Ironman in May, 2007. Wish me luck!

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Swim
Open Water Swim ChatfieldReservoir
Time: 1:20:00+
Distance: 2,500 meters (Big loop, small loop)

I have been getting some great opportunities to do some open water swimming. I have been going with my new co-worker, Brett. Brett and I went to Aurora Reservoir the other day too. It is nice to have someone to swim with.

Bike
Time: 3:32:57
Odo: 441.12 miles
Max: 33.2 mph
Avg: 15.7 mph
Distance: 55.77 miles

I had a really tough day on the bike. I made the 30 miles and was doing great. I turned around and I started to fall apart. I started getting bad cramps and my stomach was very bloated. I drank too much liquids. I never thought it would be possible. I drank over 132oz of water within my 3.5 hour ride. That is way too much than I am used to. It was 98 degress and I used my Camelbak. The mouthpiece was leaking for close to half way. I stopped at REI and bought a new mouthpiece. That did the trick. I refilled my camelbak. Well...at least it was cold water. My gatorade and accellerade were hot by the time I started drinking them. Way too hot!

I had to stop at about mile 40 and rest for a little bit. I was pretty good up to that point and once I got going again I was flat. My stomach kept aching and I was having major bloating problems. I stopped again in Glendale and rested for awhile. I finally started regaining energy and continued. I picked up the pace quite a bit more when I reaching Cherry Creek Reservoir. Maybe I was glad to be back in my home turf. My time above does not include my stops. I was out for at least 4-4.5 hours

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Yeah, nice to have someone to swim open water with - if only for comraderie before and after!

Some folks will even stop processing water properly when overheating and still exerting. Spooky.

5:47 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Yup, definitely a limit to how fast one's body can process fluids. I've not noticed it while riding but if I drink too much when running I will get a sloshy stomach -- a very uncomfortable feeling!

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home